Tuesday, January 13, 2015

So, yesterday I had Pool School with Steve the Pool Guy. I learned how to vacuum the pool, how to clean the filters, how to check the salt and calcium levels, etc. I have a salt water filter so it is a little more complicated than the normal chlorine or bromine pool. Steve said to me, "you seem like a handy gal". High praise indeed. So, I've ordered my test kit and he will be back next week to teach me how to use that. Waiting for three final inspections but first have to put door alarms on and make my gate kid unfriendly. Quite a process.
 Look how clean and beautiful. The pool and Sophie.
photo courtesy of David
I have been settling into my neighborhood and know most of my neighbors by name now, although I've attached little titles to them in my head, i.e. Jim the Crazy Biker, Cora the Hoarder, Gilberto the Chef, Sam the Stoner, etc. etc. (and yes these are not their real first names).  Here's some of what goes on in my hood . . .
o   Crazy biker with the unibrow, pokes his head over the fence and in a gravelly voice asks, Need a pool boy?  Zoiks!
o   Insane dog at the end of the street tears up and down behind his fence barking his head off while the parrot in residence across the street from him screams, Shut up, Bubba! Shut up, Bubba!
o   Large African-American man strolls around the block once a day giving a sermon. Loudly. And punctuated with wild gesticulations.
o   Little teeny white girl explores our garbage cans while speaking to her dog in a stern tone of voice, You need to do your business, Emmy, and do it fast because I've got a lot to do today. So many cans, so little time . . .
All in all a very satisfying place to live with the always interesting cast of characters. Wonder what they think of Lizzie Alone?



No comments:

Post a Comment