Thursday, November 8, 2012

What a luxury to stay as long as I wanted to at a fabulous quilt show. I am spending almost two whole days at the World Quilt Show in West Palm Beach. I got here at about 11:30am and the next thing I knew, I looked up and it was almost 6pm! Never even thought about lunch. Great show; beautiful quilts. It is inspirational but also wicked humbling to see the work of such amazing, creative women. AND, I get to go back tomorrow morning. I am practically giddy with joy!  Woohoo!!
first glimpse of the show   . . . oh yeahhhhh. . . my people!
Also, feeling the love from my wonderful friends, Katrina and Sue, who are looking after the girls while I'm gone. Here's the look I got when I left this morning . . .
Lucy: anxious.  Sophie: pissed.
I'm staying at the Marriott right across the bridge from the convention center; they're offering a great rate for us quilters and a shuttle - awesome. What a treat to stay in a decent hotel with lovely linens and a nice mattress (and check it: I'm only here because there are no doggies with me (my life screams out for an RV, right? right? Am I right?)
oh la
And now for a few of the quilts:  Just say oooooooooooohhhhh and aaaaaaaaahhhhh - You know you can't help yourself.
Look how fabulous Neptune is and now look below for a detailed look at his abs. Seriously? Just fabric shapes, raw edge applique - amazing imagery, ingenious - wow!

I think the creator was absent due to a seizure disorder - kidding..haha
The next five are titled The Florida Keys Experience. I was a little miffed that a Miami guild was representing the Keys and I think the Florida keys Quilters might need to STEP UP GIRLS. Anyhoo, they did a really nice job - these are just a few  .  .  . 
Key West chickens
We ARE the "dive capital of the world" dontcha know 

mangroves 
And a special Kaffe Fassett exhibit- oh oh oh one of my fave designers.
Can't believe this is a Kaffe quilt. Such bland colors for him.
The next few are much more in character. I have the book - so cool to see them in person


And some wonderful purples
- loved these!
fabulous curves
 The next few were to do with mental illness, thru the eyes of caregiver, friend, family, etc.

Titled "Moody Blues"
This was done with gauze, sort of pulled apart and stitched - v. cool.
And on a lighter note: 

Ok, I just loved this one. So sweet, so cute, so creative. 
 Being in the presence of all of this talent is inspiring and I can hardly wait to get home and get sewing. So grateful for this opportunity - thanks again Kat and Sue for making this possible!!

. . . and I have something even more wonderful in store for tomorrow . . . stay tuned




No comments:

Post a Comment