Thursday, April 17, 2014

Well, I've been driving in the crazy lane for the last few days. My big news was going to be that I am in the process of buying a house but let's put that on hold for one minute. So, my plan was to have the home inspection Monday, move out of my rental Tuesday (time was up), move into another rental for a week, close on the house and move in there for a week, drive to Maine for a week, stay in Maine for a week and fly to Michigan for two weeks to be with my Dad. Talk about crazy. Then everything went to hell in a handbasket (great saying, that).

The inspection went great so it does look like a go on the house so far. Tuesday, I email the guy to see when to meet up at the next rental so he can hand over the keys. He writes me back and says SCAM. I stole your deposit ($750) and I don't own that house. I was in shock. Seriously freaked me out. I mean, who does something like that? Well, yeah a criminal but still . . .
So now I've got to find a rental quick and it's Easter week in the Keys. There is NOTHING. I quite literally spent the entire day, ten hours, on the phone and online looking. It was between a guy's upstairs for a thousand dollars or two nights only in a hotel and then who knows, when I stumbled on the place I'm in now. And I would happily show you a picture of it but I still don't have a FREAKING camera. (Can you tell?) Anyway, I came over and met the guy and wrote a check on the spot - way too much money - for a house with a fenced yard and an above ground pool. He had just had a cancellation for this week and the girls and I moved in yesterday. They are confused and I am oh so tired.

Here's the weird thing and it really took me back when I walked through the door. The living room furniture is identical to my old house, two pictures on the wall and a wrought iron fish rack are the same. The quilts in the guest room are the same. Isn't that weird? Gloria stopped by and said, this looks like your house. So, of course I had all kinds of horrid dreams last night about my husband and my old life and on and on blah blah blah. I will be having a nap later.

I'll tell you about the new house when it's for sure.



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a new house in the Keys! So happy for you. Hope the rest of the move goes more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and a guest room with your name on it, my friend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrible about the scam! Did he really just tell you that straight out? There's just no accounting for the criminal mind. Sorry you had to go through this!

    ReplyDelete