Sunday, August 31, 2014

A chilly gray morning and a bowl of steel cut oats with maple syrup and walnuts was the order of the day. yum  I worked up an appetite doing battle with a ginormous freaking spider in my bathroom sink who would not be washed down. Honestly, I am happy to relocate a daddy longlegs outside but for this sucker, I boiled water on the stove, pretended it was oil and threw it from the ramparts.
I'm spending my Labor Day weekend, well, laboring. Labors of love. I pruned my hydrangeas. I am finally finishing up the quilt for Monica's little boy - remember he was supposed to be a girl? And I made that sweet little pink quilt? Here is the little boy quilt. Kind of a modified rail fence using some flannel strips I had, I think from Joanne's.
And, I got an oilcloth delivery yesterday so I will make up an order of three XL beach bags. Look at the two new patterns I got. Black with cherries and an aqua with dogwood. Yummy colors and they'll make lovely bags. Email me if you want one. Things are slowing down and soon I'll stop working for the season so I've decided to work on Dr. Lu's quilt and my quilt guild challenge maybe, a new pattern or two from the quilt show and some UFO's. Sounds totally too ambitious but I'll enjoy the process.
So, before my friends came up from Mass last weekend, I put my studio in order. I had a pile of boxes in there from my storage unit that I was determined to go through. They were labeled "photos" and when I girded my loins (and don't you love that turn of phrase) and opened the first one, there on top was my wedding dress. All thought screeched to a halt and time stood still for an instant. And I taped the box back up and now all of the boxes are in the back of my car. LAME! I thought I was prepared. Not! And those boxes are still there a week later.

Then this past week, I had to go into Boothbay Harbor to transfer my safe deposit box and accounts so they are closer. I don't like going to my old town because it brings back memories. I have never driven by my old house and studio. I can't bear to see it - still miss it so much. And I know it's silly to miss a house but I do. So, I open the safe deposit box and there on top is my divorce decree. How in the world did it ever come to this? I ask myself. I still feel shocked at the knowledge that I am not married anymore. When oh when oh when will I cut loose this giant piece of rotting baggage that is tethered to me?

Now, before you hold a pity party for yours truly, I want you to know that I am really fine. I am content. I have wonderful loving friends and family. I have conquered my fears. And I like living alone - well not really alone because I have my girls. This is a minor setback and I think I will just drive those boxes back to my storage unit and deal with them next summer. By then I'll be ready. I'm sure of it.
hydrangeas on my sweet little porch



No comments:

Post a Comment