Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Gloria knew about this shop from someone she met on the bus. It is called Quilt'n Fabric and here it is. The owner told us about something called Row by Row and you can read all about it here. Briefly, there are over a thousand quilt shops in the country participating. You must go to at least 8 shops and ask for the free pattern, sew them up and make them into a quilt of at least 8 of the rows. Fun, right? Since I have absolutely no pending projects - hahahaha! I am planning to do it.
After a brief stop to admire Somes Sound, our next stop was Asticou Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor. It was peaceful and beautiful and I kept thinking how much my mum would love it. Maybe next year I'll bring her here.
Somes Sound

Asticou
We took a walk along the shore path before dinner and it was just as I remembered it. The fog rolled in while we were walking and that cool air combined with the smell of the ocean, well there is nothing like it and I love it so much. We did the trail backwards and ended up at the pier in the center of town.
Red boat in front of the ghosly ship - a picture poem
Could not resist taking a picture of this little guy enjoying his ice cream cone.
We did a little shopping and met up with Aisley for dinner at McKays for an absolutely fabulous meal. She is Gloria's granddaughter, super sweet girl, and she pulled out one of my little wallets and generously modeled it for me. I LOVE seeing people using the things I make!
So that was all yesterday and today we took a little hike to Hunters Beach.

On the way to the beach. See those tree roots? That is the path! And there is nothing like filling your pockets with beautiful rocks for the hike back up. Doh! I did that. We listened to a babbling brook on our way down to the beach and that was replaced by the sound of the waves on the stony beach. Could have stayed there all day.
And, check it out: There were loons in the water! And they spoke to us. What a gift. 
Hunters Beach
Everywhere you go on the island, there are towers of rocks. Everywhere. I took about a gazillion pictures of them but I'll just share this one.  Next stop was breakfast! Two Cats was the perfect place and we had the most wonderful smoked salmon on a homemade biscuit. Yum We had a twenty minute wait but it passed quicklly in their garden.
After breakfast, we stopped at Judy Taylor's studio in Seal's Cove and spent an open mouthed 45 minutes enjoying her paintings. And by that I mean they are jaw dropping stunning. Here is her new studio, floor not done but lighting is and the pictures are hung.
Look at this one of her niece. Amaizng.

I dropped Gloria off at her summer digs, surrounded by wild flowers and blueberries and even a clawfoot bath in the garden with hot water! Parting is such sweet sorrow.

And made one last stop on my way out of town at Sewing by the Sea, a wonderful shop. Picked up another Row by Row pattern. 
Their row, two ways.
Down the coast, turning inland at the blueberry fields and then home sweet home where Sophie was kind enough to welcome me with a gigantic crater dug right next to the steps. oy that dog















No comments:

Post a Comment