Sunday, August 17, 2014

So I said good-bye to the girls this morning (they were NOT happy) and headed north on a rainy day. My favorite radio show of the week, In Tune by Ten, was on and I felt so content, ensconced in LaToya with the heater on my feet and meandering the back way through little inland Maine towns and coming to the coast at Belfast, then scooting up Route 1 through old villages like the one below and I think that is Searsport or maybe Bucksport. Like going back in time. Well, except for the cars and RVs. And the electrical wires. And neon. Okay, so the buildings are old. Anyhoo . . .
I crossed the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and man that sucker is high up. I pulled over and took this picture before proceeding. It spans over 2,000 feet from shore to shore and from the NARROW one lane you drive on, it is 135 feet straight down. Wow. I wanted to take a picture on my way across but started feeling kind of scared! I reminded myself that I was NOT afraid and relaxed and kept going but couldn't really pull my concentration away from that one NARROW lane to snap a photo off to my side. A couple of years ago, I challenged myself to go to the top of one of the towers - they have a fast elevator that takes you up the 420 feet. I am proud I did it but I will not do it again. Ever. They built this bridge out of lots of local granite in less than a year. Doesn't that seem kind of well, hasty? Zoiks!
it was a lovely ride down east and I arrived in about two and a half hours at Gloria's little house. Yes! My friend, Gloria, is visiting for a month and she is staying in a lovely little house surrounded by flowers and puppies and doh! I took no pictures because we were hungry and got right back on the road to ride a quarter mile up the road to Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard and OMG had some fabulous haddock chowdah and split a ginormous lobster roll. (My friend Stacy, lobstah roll afficianado, would never have allowed that and yes Stacy, you are right - I could have mos def eaten one of my own!)
the kitchen, with lobstahs in the foreground
Gloria admires (salivates over?) the roll - fabulous!
Our view of Bass Harbor from Thurston's
Sated, we set out for the first quilt shop of my trip. But I shall leave that and the rest of our day for tomorrow's post  . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment