Sunday, November 2, 2014

I am still in the throes of moving in but took an afternoon off this week to start working on some curtains for the living room. I found this wonderful bark cloth last summer on Ebay and bought 12 yards of it. Very vintage looking but it is relatively new.
I've put hidden tabs on the back which makes them slide nicely on the rod. I used an old sheet for the lining. Have to get my buddy, Tom, over to show me how to hang the rod on a concrete wall.
Yesterday, I went to the Florida Keys Quilters monthly meeting and it was so much fun to see everybody. Here are a couple of show and tells. The first was not taken at a good angle so if you can't tell, it is chickens and socks. Don't know why the socks but it is cute.
This next one was painted by Elaine. Do you know what it is? It is a barn quilt. Basically, a barn quilt is a large piece of wood that is painted to look like a quilt block (although she has four blocks here) and put up on your barn or these days, the side of your house. It dates back to about 300 years ago when German immigrants like the Amish and the Mennonites settled in Pennsylvania and began painting folk designs, including geometric patterns from quilt squares, on their barns. Many of the symbols used had a special meaning such as eternity, success, happiness, luck, etc. Apparently this has become quite popular again and Quilt trails have been developed in many states, where you get a map that guides the viewers to the various locations, with a picture of the square and a name or explanation of it's meaning. Cool, right? Well, our Prez, Mary Lou, thinks we might like to do some and I am going to do one for my new house. When I have one spare minute.
 Lastly, I wanted to show you this picture I took last night from my backyard. I felt depressed when I first got here. Told someone I couldn't look out of my house and see the sky or the water. Look how beautiful my view is afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment