Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ages ago I signed up for an adult ed outing titled Winery Tour and Vinfest. So yesterday, another gray rainy day, off I went to Wiscasset to catch the little shuttle.
Our first stop was The Fat Friar's Mead, practically in my backyard. The guy basically has a basement business and he and his wife are very ernest about growing their business. They use local honey and fruits and their own well water. Same ingredients that have been used for eons. Not really my cup of tea but I appreciated the tradition of it and the labels were cute . . . 
The Fat Friar himself
In stark contrast, The Cellar Door Winery was putting on Vinfest. Check out this tent they had out in the field. Wow. Chandeliers. They had a barbeque, cooking classes, tastings of course, and wine and food pairings.

tasting bar
We did a Viognier with a bit of lobster ceviche, a Cayuga wine with the mini reuben (yum - and I don't know why "Cayuga" because isn't that in New York State someplace?) and a Riesling with a little chocolate cookie thingy. I have to say, my own personal opinion is that their wine sucks but it is a lovely place and the people are uber friendly and I could have eaten about a pound of that lobster ceviche. They also had grape stomping which I have always wanted to do but there was no way I was taking off boots and socks in the 45 degree weather, Maybe next time.
wine and food pairing 
Fall colors - beauteous!
I don't know what this car is, a Model T maybe? But these gents picked me up on my trek from the tent down in the fields back up to the winery. Sweet!
The next visit was to Savage Oaks, and we didn't even get out of the shuttle because there was a big bus tour there from Boston. Too bad because I heard they were harvesting yesterday. But we said no thanks. Last was Sweetgrass Winery, a fave of mine. In addition to wines, they do spirits and this is their still. How cool is that! They make a world famous Back River Gin. 

So, it was a good day and I met some nice people and sampled some ok wine and did my part for the Maine wine growers. Sue, you have some birthday wine coming your way from Maine and who knows, you might even like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment