Saturday, October 6, 2012

oy vey what a day

Here is how my day went yesterday.
I woke up and noticed Sophie could not bear any weight on her front leg. Called the vet for a 4pm appointment. Then, in to town for my annual physical exam, and more on that later, and off to the Gardens for my last day of driving. My first cart died with 3 couples and a wheelchair on board. The occupant of the wheel chair was also on oxygen. Good thing I carry a walky-talky. I picked up my second cart and on the first steep downhill to the shoreline, the brakes went out. When they finally got a grip, I laid the most amazing patch in the dirt. Luckily I had no passengers but the people waiting at the bottom of the hill looked like, hell no we're not getting in that thing with you. (hahaha-maniacal laugh)
Last view of the gardens for the season thru my windshield
So, I rushed home from the gardens to pick up Sophie, and with Lucy -- aka she who would not be denied -- in tow, we sped down to the Vet. Where we spent an hour-and-a-half. (Lucy stayed in the car and shrieked her dismay at being left. Loudly.) So, while I was convinced this lameness had something to do with Tuesday's surgery - it only makes sense, right? - the vet was not convinced. She drew blood for a lyme test and sure enough, Sophie has Lyme's disease. My little problem child. So, she is prescribed antibiotics and pain meds. And, can I just say I'm so glad I spend all that money on Frontline every month. jeez  Home again and the sun is shining and I arrive to discover Chris has been here and removed my dock and float for the season.  arrrrghghgh
So, I wanted to say a word about my doctors appointment. Ok, maybe a few words and yes, maybe a bit of a rant. I couldn't sleep for thinking about this. So my doctor, who shall remain nameless - we'll just call her Dr. Amy - well, ok that is her name - anyhoo talks to me like I'm a moron. If I bring up any kind of alternative medicine like herbal  supplements for instance, she totally discounts it. Example: so remember when I was diagnosed with COPD and I was on two inhalers and a nasal spray to try to keep it under control? Well, I went to a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (OM) and she put me on an herbal prescription she has adjusted a few times and that I have filled at a chinese pharmacy in New York and I have not needed inhalers or spray in 10 months. But will Dr. Freaking Amy even discuss this? No! Won't even acknowledge the fact that I am not wheezing anymore.  And that is just the beginning. I try to talk to her about the side effects of statins. Nope. Doesn't believe it. Doesn't want to hear it. I realized during the night why I was so upset. Because she treated me like I was invisible. I knew as soon as she left the room, I would not merit a second thought. That is how my husband made me feel. Like I'm worthless and beneath notice. And, I think the reason it bothers me now - this is the third year I have come to her - is that I have finally got me some self esteem and self worth, baby,  and I DON'T HAVE TIME for freaking anybody who tries to demean me. So sod off Dr. Amy (and as always, same goes for him.) 

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS:
As Ingrid Michaelson sings, I just want to be ok today . . . 

So, I wake up this morning and Sophie is bright eyed and walking on all fours. Sure enough, the antibiotics are already having an effect. Huge weight lifted off my heart. She eats a good breakfast and annoys me at my computer and for once I'm grateful for it. 
I print out the articles I looked up over night to drop off to Dr. Narrow-Minded. Which won't do any good but I'll feel better.
And, after a shower, I'm heading to town for Pumpkinfest.  Woohoo!

LizzieAlone is ok today!



No comments:

Post a Comment