Saturday, July 21, 2012

My sweet Anna left yesterday after a way too short visit. We worked on a knitting needle roll-up while she was here and didn't it come out so cute! She is an excellent sewist and wish we had more sewing hours together.


In other news, Ryder and I spent an hour in the dollar store while Anna got her hair cut, where we came across this book about using rap to communicate with teenagers or some such. We had some laughs and then met up for lunch with Anna and Josh.
cousins share chocolate mousse at King Eider
And, we made a stop to drop off some more of my bags at About Face. Look how nice they look in the shop. Sweet!
 I was trying to catch up with some emails this morning and clean my house, and cook breakfast, complaining to myself that I was tired and overwhelmed, blah blah blah, when I realized what a fabulous summer it has been so far and how lucky I am to have such a loving and giving family.

In contrast, last summer my divorce was final and I was forced to move from my home and studio and sell or give away many of our things. I felt so alone and cried most nights, longing for all that I lost and for the unbearable sorrow of letting go of my husband, my home, the boats, the RV, all of the trappings of my previous life.

The things don't really matter though, do they? What matters is family and friends and I am rich in both.

I'm with Rose Kennedy who did not agree that "time heals all wounds". She said the wound remains. In time the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. I'm thankful for the scar tissue another year has left me with and especially grateful for such a stellar summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment