Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Guess what I got?

My very own little boat. I call her the Barbie Dream Boat because that's what she looks like. Cute as can be.
So Labor Day weekend, I drove two hours south to Little Sebago Lake for a test drive, fell in love with her and I brought her home on Saturday.

Hired a kid to fill her gas tanks and tow her up here because LaToya may be built like a brick you-know-what house but honey, LaToya don't tow. It was almost dark by the time she got here so she's been sitting next door in my neighbor's dooryard for a few days until said kid could come back to put us in the water.
I thought I'd be able launch next door at my neighbor's house but the water wasn't deep enough so off we went up to the head of the Lake where there is a ramp of sorts into Davis Stream. Well, Barbie Dream Boat started up right away and I was so excited I was sort of shrieking WOOHOO! So, I told the kid ok, let go of the line and he left to go back and leave her trailer at my cottage.
I took this picture off the net so you could see what it looked like from my perspective as I headed out toward the open water of the Lake (except it wasn't sunny). Once I got to the top of the Lake, the wind started up, kind of whipping up whitecaps and I have to admit I was a bit nonplussed.

Suddenly, Barbie Dream Boat's motor died. Holy crapoli. I mean HOLY CRAPOLI. I could barely get a cough out of the motor. Used the choke, tried gunning it. Checked the tanks - full. Meanwhile, the wind started blowing me sideways back down the creek and into some weeds and lilypads so I raised the motor. And, you might ask, did you have a paddle or an oar with you? Because you know you should ALWAYS have a paddle just in case. Well, the answer to that would be no. Why you might ask? Because I am a bonce. I was literally up a creek without a paddle!
I could not believe this turn of events. I swear I was willing the boat towards the side of the creek that had docks on it. Practically throwing my body toward that side to get out of the weeds. I got up in the bow where I had the wherewithal earlier to tie a bowline (miracle) and managed to snag the outboard of a skiff on a dock and that stopped me. I tied off and went to look at the motor.
I lowered the motor somewhat to get the prop under so I could try to start it again. Barely had enough depth. Looked at the gas can which still read full. gave the line from the motor to the gas can a tug and . . . . wait for it . . . . it came off in my hand.
Seriously, the gas line from the motor was not connected to the gas. So, I made it up the creek (without a paddle) on whatever gas was already in the line. I must admit at this point to 1. wanting to throttle the freaking kid who filled the tank and, 2. wanting to pat myself on the back for figuring it out.
So, I squeezed the ball running from the gas can to the motor and waited a bit then hit the choke and tried to start her. She ran like a dream, a Barbie Dream Boat. I cast off and did a few circles in the creek and then motored up to the top of the Lake. By now, I had some good sized waves coming at me but was I deterred? NO WAY. NO FEAR!  I charged out onto the Lake and opened her up. Made it home safe and sound.
Tonight Barbie Dream Boat sits on my neighbor's mooring. Wind died. Supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I'm sure you will have many wonderful adventures with your Barbie Dream Boat.

    ReplyDelete