Sunday, May 8, 2016

A few days ago, my friend Maria showed up at my door with a big shopping bag full of hats and leis, announced that today would be my Key Largo birthday celebration! and three cars of girls jetted up to start the day at Fairchild Botanical Gardens.
Here we all are
ornamental pineapple
Blue herons Chihuly glass sculpture
Not sure what the name of this giant palm tree is but it is monocarpic, meaning it has lost all of it's fronds and has been producing fruit exclusively for some time now and when the fruit dies, the palm is a gonner. I think I got that right. Kind of sad.
On a happier note, we were lucky enough to be in the butterfly enclosure when they released the newest hatchlings. And I'm sure they are not called hatchlings. The man set them on our hands and one by one they opened their wings - beautiful bright blue on the outsides - and flew into the flowers. Except mine. I waited and waited and finally I asked the man to take it off. Scritchy scratchy little legs. The man said it probably was enjoying my hand lotion or soap. A special experience to be sure.
This photo shows the backdrop to our fabulous lunch at the beautiful Mediterranean styled Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. It opened in 1926 with this enormous 150' by 225' swimming pool. 
Home in time to feed the Sophster and couldn't have had a lovelier birthday celebration. Thank you, my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment