Sunday, May 29, 2011

My former husband is in town. I don't like that. I feel that by his actions, he has given up the right to be in this beautiful place and that his presence here diminishes it. And that when he drives through the toll, they should stop him right there at the border and say, you are not allowed in the great state of Maine, you are not worthy.   (I'm sure it's just another this too shall pass issue, right?) Ironically, here is what Eckhart Tolle has to say to me today:
Through forgiveness, which essentially means recognizing the insubstantiality of the past and allowing the present moment to be as it is, the miracle of transformation happens not only within but also without. I'll get there one day, I know I will. But today is not that day! Ha!
So, anyhoo, on a much happier note, my good friends Stacy and Pat are visiting me for the long weekend. We started out our visit by going to the Alewives Festival. Yes, it is that time of year and the alewives are running. V. cool and if you have not seen them before, you must come out. There is nothing so sweet as small town Maine throwing a party.
Here are Pat and Stacy next to a section of the fish ladder. The fish ladder was originally constructed in 1807 and for the past 5 or so years, there have been lots of fundraising activities to help fund its restoration.  
Food, music, games and alewives
 Here are the alewives, attempting to ascend the 40+ feet from the Great Salt Bay up the fish ladder to Damariscotta Lake, back to their place of birth, now to spawn.
And here is their ultimate goal. Unbeknownst to them though, there are some very large bass waiting to gobble some of them up when they arrive. Ah, nature, red in tooth and claw . . . well I guess that isn't quite apropos of a fish but you get my meaning and it fits with
this guy! How awesome is this? Stacy and Lizzie carried away by the ginormous osprey!

No comments:

Post a Comment