Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sitting at my window this morning, looking out at thick fog on the lake. Three old geezers in a skiff came ghosting in a few minutes ago, casting all around my dock, waving up at me and then back to the fierce concentration on their lines. Off they went. Next, two canadian geese paddled by, one in the front, one aft, a dozen babies between them, all in a line.
I've been living in a microcosm these last four days; nothing exists but Lucy and me and the sick little dog child, enveloped in mist and fog. I am not saying that in a negative way. It is quite cozy in our little cottage. We have our radio to keep us company. Oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, flannel sheets. Lovely.
Having said that, I am looking forward to getting out of the house this morning for a few hours. And I mean reeeeaaaally looking forward to it. Critter Sitters is coming to watch Sophie while I go out for my annual boat inspection training (I volunteer at the boat ramp on the Lake in the summer), the grocery store and the bookstore. Woohoo!!
Update:
So, here is my girl this morning. She is doing well. She is able to walk on all fours now, for which my back is thankful. Her wounds look good although I had to soak the one on her neck last night. She is determined to get to that one. TMI? Sorry.
She is subdued but cheerful and getting that wicked look in her eye again which means that pretty soon I am going to have trouble keeping her quiet.
This is a picture I took of myself in my bug net a week or so ago. Yes, it is that time of year. I got my first black fly bite yesterday. Oooo, I detest them. And, speaking of bugs, I have seen these huge bugs looking kind of like mosquitoes and it took me a few days to realize, Oh! They ARE mosquitoes. Compared to the tiny ones in Florida, I didn't even recognize them. There is a reason the mosquito is the Maine State Bird!
And one last picture. Here is the lonely oreo. Those of you in the know, know what it is. It is just waiting for the summer and it's playmates to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment