Sunday, June 5, 2011

Toast of Maine

About a month ago, I signed up for this bus tour thru Adult Ed. We gathered in the adult ed parking lot yesterday morning at 8:30am where the bus was waiting and off we went. I thought I would be the only single person so I was gratified when there were quite a few women and only two couples. I can't tell you how luxurious it felt to be a passenger for the day - one of the things I miss about being married.
Anyhoo, the first stop was unscheduled but it was such a beautiful day, we decided to stop at the Penobscot Narrows Observatory, billed as the tallest bridge observatory in the world (which says to me that it is the only tower on a bridge to call itself that. . .but maybe that's just the cynic in me.) I pulled this pic off the internet as I couldn't get a shot of the whole thing. It is MASSIVE.

Right next to it is the old bridge. Once upon a time, my husband and I drove miles and miles  out of our way to avoid crossing the bridge - too scary. So, what do I do when our leader asks who wants to go up? Like a total bonce, I raise my hand. Hey, I need to conquer that fear and I am determined. Plus, I figure if I zip lined I can do anything!
 So, this is the tower (zoiks! See those windows at the very top?) and that is the old bridge in the foreground.
 The old and new side by side.
 That is a giant construction vehicle up on the bridge. Makes you realize how far up the top is.
We took an elevator up 420 feet and you step off and see this - 2 feet in front of you, floor to ceiling. I was like spiderman, clinging on to the concrete wall behind me. Then up two flights of stairs...
 Here is a view of Bucksport across the Penobscot.
That is Fort Knox. I zoomed in. It was the first and largest granite fort built in Maine, in the mid-1800's. A consequence of getting beat up in the Revolutionary War, although it took forever to actually build it.
Here is a shot across the bridge to the other tower. Terrifying. But I did it! Plus I was with a bunch of strangers so I had to maintain my composure. I must say it was tough taking pictures while keeping one hand on the railing the entire time.
So, our little side trip behind us, we continued north all the way up to Winterport. It was wonderful to get reacquainted with the mid-coast. Our first stop was the Winterport Winery and Penobscot Bay Brewery.
We had a short tour and then an outstanding lunch:  A smoked chicken white pizza with gouda, mixed greens, Winterport Winery's Pear Wine summer sangria, and for dessert, strawberry rhubarb ginger crisp served warm with vanilla bean ice cream. Oh my. Then, a tasting.
Maine has such as short growing season, it is virtually impossible to grow grapes and make traditional grape wine so most of it is from blueberries, apples, raspberries, pears. So, it has always been sweet dessert wine. However, the three wineries we visited are doing a bit more experimenting with blueberries and hybrid grapes and making wine that tastes a bit more traditional. Not so much at Winterport, but oh well.
Next stop was the Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville. The owner is an ex-Wall Street fast tracker and a bit of a chatty cathy. She seems to be trying to duplicate California wine country. It is a beautiful building, beautiful views, beautiful grounds. Looks like California (well a greener lusher California). The wine? so-so. Don't get me wrong. It is a wonderful place to spend a Sunday afternoon. She's done a lovely job. Here are some pics.
I was excited when I saw the oak barrels, and the oaked wines were noticeably different from those fermented in the steel tanks, but not necessarily in the best possible way.  If you know what I mean. Oh, you don't? Never mind.
The vines
Beautiful spot. So, the last stop was Sweetgrass Farm Winery and Distillery. It was a humble little place with, in my opinion, the best wines and spirits of all. The owner was educated at UC Davis with a master's in viticulture and has been at it for 20 years. And, you could tell. Their wine was decent but I was really taken with their ports and brandy and then there was the gin. Talk about juniper berries. Yum. So the next person who comes to visit me is going to get a gin and tonic out on the dock. I also bought a maple liqueur and some nice free range grass fed ground lamb. baaa
Lovely to see the scenery along the way with the new album by Alison Krauss playing on my ipod. Everybody snoozed on the way home.
I think this is Searsport
 And, here is what my lake looked like when I got home. Perfect ending to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment