Saturday, August 27, 2011

I am woman, here me roar!

Well, as Hurricane Irene slogs her way up the East Coast, I'm getting busy. I was supposed to have some help last night but it didn't materialize so I've been on the go  this morning. I bought plastic sheeting yesterday and after consulting with my (genius) mom, off I went to the lumber mill this morning where I bought what are called lathes (I think. I told them I wanted some thin slats to screw the plastic on to my windows.) Then to the hardware store, where hey look at that, perennials are 30% off. Woohoo!! Momentarily diverted, I bought two astilbes and look at this fab hydrangea. Does anyone know what kind it is? No tag.
Here is one of the astilbes. Love the color. It's called amethyst.
Ok, so of course I had to plant the astilbe when I got home but then got right back on task . . .Oh, btw, here is my end of summer front garden. Pretty, no?
Well, I got out the ladders, and because I have no fear of heights or anything else anymore (except snakes but never mind about that) up I went with my trusty staple gun. Not as easy as I thought. Legs are shaking but not out of fear, just a little unsteady or something. Put in the first few staples and stood back to admire my work.
Sheesh, this is going to take longer than I thought. So, here is one completely done:
See how I screwed on the wood to keep the plastic down (fingers crossed?)
Here are two with the plastic stapled on, next I'll screw in the lathes, or whatever they are. Splintery is what they are, actually. So, with luck the water will stay out of my house. 
What I am a little anxious about is the wind. I mean, look at my little cottage among these behemoth trees! 
I'm not going to talk about how I was crying tears of frustration before I came in to take a break. Or how I never ever thought I would find myself in a situation like this or the narcissistic sociopath who created this situation, who on days like this is really really really really hard not to hate.  
Instead, I will just ask you to think positive thoughts to send Irene on her merry way, out to sea.



3 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I would have been whining about the whole thing but, in the end, we do what we need to do. Thinking about you and hope Irene is out to sea before she gets to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. right now, she's headed right for me - what about you??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing but mild rain here so far. When you look at the storm track now, Leesburg is outside of it, although we may still get some high winds. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete