Saturday, August 20, 2011

Well, Susan, I'm glad you asked!

My friend Sue and I are at the 9th Annual World Quilt Show in Manchester, New Hampshire. And, what a fabulous show it is. I am blown away by the creativity. Going to a show like this inspires you to reach further as an artist but is also way humbling, as in I could never come close to this perfection. This quilt, titled Dawn Prayers on the Ganges, won first place in the world. It is simply amazing and inspiring. The detail is incredible.
Here is a close-up of the right hand corner. The dripping water is beaded crystals. Fantastic.
This quilt was one of my absolute faves. It is about hope and rebirth after the terrible tsunami last year. It won Best of Country for Japan.
Ok, and here are just a few more of these wonderful quilts. I can't help it. I have to share . . . Look at the appliqued shadows on this one. Very clever.
Did not even realize until I downloaded this picture, that it is meant to look like a photo in an old photo album. Nice touch!
 The story behind this quilt was the depression and misery and subsequent suicide of the friend of this quilter's son. The wings are wonderful spreading to the edges. You wonder how she knew when to stop.
 This was a photo transfer, blown up and "painted" with thread. Wonderful.
This one was titled something like, Old Woman in Minnesota Cornfield in Winter. (The stuff of nightmares, if you ask me!)
 This was another remembrance of the tsumani. There were several quilts with this theme, and no wonder.
And lastly, no this is not a quilt. It is simply an Old Codger working the show.
Technicolor dreams tonight for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment