Saturday, September 17, 2011

A beautiful sunrise this morning with temps in the 40's. I needed the heater all night and got a fire going in the fireplace this morning.
So the girls and I took a walk this morning to survey the damage. They are "harvesting" the mile or so of woods where I live. I understand they are doing it responsibly but I kind of feel about it like I do about hunting. Go ahead, but not with an unfair advantage. You want to kill a moose? Mano-a-mano, baby. No guns - just go in there and get him -- if you can. Same way with the forest: no fair using all that machinery. Grab your axe and do your worst. Anyway, what used to look like this:
now looks like this:

Makes me sad and I briefly entertained the idea of chaining myself to the skidder but I hadn't had my coffee yet so . . .
Anyhoo, I title this next shot "deer in the headlights."
And, here is the camera hog. The dog loves having her picture taken.

3 comments:

  1. I too am saddened by this but also relieved that you did not chain yourself to the skidder. Don't your fellow lake-dwellers have an organization with some clout that can make them stop? How about chaining a lawyer to the skidder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what about the President of that organization? Doesn't she have some clout? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor owns the woods behind our cottages and it is his prerogative. Plus, less chance of a fire and lots of sunlight to encourage new growth. But, I do like the idea of chaining a lawyer to the skidder. Let's chain all the lawyers to skidders! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete