Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lordy I hate the south . . .

As always, I had a wonderful time with my pal, Stacy, in PA for a couple of days. She came up from Maryland and we met in Bigsley, PA, or some such silly name, near Gettysburg. We stayed in an uninteresting blah little rental called Cozy Cottage (should have been with K's: Kozy Kottage. Would have made it more interesting, but I digress) - nothing like the much more fascinating and rather Horrid House of Heads from previous years. BUT,  perfectly adequate. She spoils the girls rotten, as you can see. Oh, do they love her.
We had some interesting shopping - especially the rather creepy Catholic lady who had a shop in her living room in Fairfield. God apparently speaks to her and tells her what to paint on her icons and stuff. Lots of blood and gore. She told us ALL about it. Miss Stacy was way too polite while I wanted to stick needles in my eyes and run out of there screaming. Made for some good laughs the rest of the day though . . .
Found a totally cool third world craft fair at a Mennonite church of all places and a fabulous Lavender farm. Out of this world herbs and lavender and can only imagine what it must be like in summer. Stacy will make a return trip in June. Just wonderful.
We were lucky enough to celebrate Veteran's Day in Chambersburg, PA, sweet little town with a parade consisting of the high school band and various representatives of the armed services and a speech by the mayor. Freezing cold day but a good turn-out. Small town America at it's best. Really touching and so glad we were there to see it (even though we made a quick exit to go to our fave candy store before heading home.)
 So here is the I Hate the South part.  Got bullied on the highway because of my left leaning bumperstickers. Stayed at one of the few hotels in this neck of the woods that takes dogs. Gross smoking room.Was presented with biscuits and gravy and powdered eggs in the morning. I don't like it. Ignorant slack jawed yokels that talk like they have a mouthful of marbles. I heard Rick Perry favors seccesion. That would get my vote.

Ok, having said that, my dear friends, Susan and Bob, now live in South Carolina. They have a lovely little Oasis in a world of southrens. A beautiful old cottage pupulated (get it?) with four fabulous little Cavalier King Charles spaniels. The setting is idillic, the house and studio beautifully decorated. I can see why they put up with this part of the world in order to live in their beautiful bubble. Susan made us a wonderful lunch, pumpkin soup - creamy with a little spice to it. Really fabulous. Salad, bread. Best meal I had all week. Thank you, Sue!
 Here is Bob with their youngest, Delilah. Both so cute!
 And, my sistah, Susan on the porch of her studio (and no, I'm not jealous - much!)
Here are the babies in their little crates. cute as can be. Sophie was totally freaked. V. funny.
And tonight? Still in the south, outside of Columbia, South Carolina, in a nasty place off the freeway. My plan is up early, get thru the rest of this State and Georgia, and get into Florida tomorrow. Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment