Saturday, November 26, 2011

Meet Octavia!

So, as a consequence of Lu-Elaine's fall into the canal and Sophie's difficulties getting in and out, Tom showed up yesterday with bags of concrete and built Sophie her own steps into the canal. (And, they'll be great for getting in and out of my kayak.) They are awesome. Look:
I heard him calling me at one point to bring the camera so I ran out and look who is living in my canal! An Octopus! Isn't she lovely? She changed color several times right in front of our eyes. I have named her Octavia.
I looked at Wikipedia and read, "The octopus is a cephalopod mollusc of the order Octopoda" and my eyes started to glaze over so I stopped. Seriously though, they are the most intelligent of invertebrates and the drawback? They eat lobsters! So, Tom says I will have no lobsters in my canal. Bummer.



5 comments:

  1. I know this is weird, but Friday night I had the most elaborate dream about octopi. Related??

    I missed your blog when I was on the road. But then I love having so many to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS weird.

    and actually, if I might enlighten you, octopi is no longer the acceptable plural. It is now octopusses. Seriously, I am not making this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - and that sounds so naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girls. I am doing some blog catchup too and have no good excuses like travel. Anyway, do not despair over those pusses leaving your canal free of lobsters. If there weren't lots, the many handed would not be there. And yes, Octavia is beautiful. I have to send you a photo of the pregnant mermaid (who also appeared towards the end of November). I thought she was visiting with a jellyfish or man of war, but it may be Octavia!

    ReplyDelete