Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fabric Frenzy

Ok, so today, we drove to Ubud to take a class at Indigo Batiks. The man who owns the workshop is a member of the Balinese royal family, a little tiny guy with a big heart. As well as teaching girls the art of batik, he does microfinancing and has financed many of the women in his village, who have become quite successful, which in turn helps the village, of course. He was wearing a t-shirt he made himself with Gandhi on it.
Sorry I cannot remember his name. He holds a quilting magazine we brought him that had an article on him. Behind him are the copper and wooden batik stamps
We split in to two groups and my group did the batik stamping first. I picked a lobster stamp. I will have to show you my final batik later on because we left them to be dyed when we were finished with the wax process. Indigo dye takes up to 25 dunks to get that wonderful blue color. So. I loved it. I actually bought my lobster stamp at the end – around $15 U.S.  I hope to use it again.
the workroom
putting the stamp in the hot wax
applying it to the fabric (timing is everything!)
back into the wax - look at my lobsters!
The next stop was free hand. I didn’t do so well with that. I drew turtles on my fabric with pencil. Then, to the wax pot.  It gave me somewhat of an understanding of the conditions these women work under. Four to a pot and the heat? OMG it is killer. I was  dripping sweat. Also, it is very dim in the workshop and you would think you’d see more Balinese wearing glasses. Something to ponder . . . Anyhoo, the next step is painting your drawing with wax. So, I painted my turtles, picked a green dye, and got out of that sweltering workshop. Wicked. We will get our batiks back on the last dinner of our trip. Can’t wait. 
sweet patient ladies, tuck a piece of balinese batik in your lap while you're sweating over the wax pot--here they are working, a group of 4 around each pot
The guy on top is dyeing our projects indigo; they go into the vat below him 25 plus times
They had a showroom here as well with beautiful beautiful indigo batiks and some of the women dropped some big bucks here. I was happy with my lobster stamp.
So, off to busy, dirty, smoggy Denpesar, the capital of Bali, for lunch and the Big Shop. Woohoo! We ate at the Hong Kong restaurant and ventured out from there. Those who needed a break could come back to the restaurant for water and fruit (mangosteen-yum!) and to drop their packages and then venture out again if they dared. We were warned not to go with anyone and not to buy from these annoying street vendors who hound you. Having been to Italy and dealt with keeping the gypsies away from my nieces, I was ready for them. (Tu puzzi!)  
I did spot a family of five with a puppy on a motor bike!
This passenger has a harness around his chest and is holding the wagon stays. Jayzus 
I had three stores on my list and got to one. I managed to be one of the first of us through the door to this little shop and I just I just I just I just can't explain it. Oh, the feel, the smell, the COLORS – This cute kid came over to me and I started pulling batiks off the wall and handing them to him. I'll have this one and this one and this one and this one . . . Beautiful, I would say. Beautiful, he would repeat. 
Sweet guy carried and "cut" all of my fabric
He measures with a meter stick and then tears. See the pile? That is  what is left from my cuts! In the foreground, more to be cut. Took an hour or more and oh it was hot but I didn't care.
This little girl, called a porter, carried my bags back to the restaurant and then to the bus. Cost 20,000 rupiahs ($2) 

So, I ordered a salad to my room for dinner and played with my batiks ‘til bedtime. I need to go back to the market. I only made it to one shop! I need more blues . . .   Batik heaven.
So, I'm sure you're wondering (Mom): I spent 2 million rupiah! For 122 meters!!! Can you believe it? I'm still pinching myself. It's a wonder I'm not black and blue. Blue. I need more blue . . .

2 comments:

  1. All looks beautiful! Glad you're having fun. If there is any place worth tolerating the heat for, I'm guessing it's Bali.

    ReplyDelete