Monday, May 7, 2012


This morning we visited a batik factory in Denpesar and I have to say my first impression is that Bali is quite the chauvinistic society. The man is the artist and draws the pictures, the women sweat over the wax pots and paint the wax on his picture. When I asked if a woman was ever the artist, Suppi was quite surprised and when I asked if the men ever painted on the wax, he looked downright poleaxed (great word that) We also had an interesting conversation where he tried to explain that men could have wives and mistresses and would take responsibility for the children involved but that women were basically there to serve and be beautiful. hmmmm Typical man.
Toro drawing
So, having said that, it was interesting to watch the process. This is not the stamped batik, but rather a work of art that is then painted with wax. A bit like what my friend Gloria does on rice paper. Toro was the name of this man and he loved it when I told him that his name means “bull” in Spanish. He free hands all of his designs, just out of his head. He took a plain cotton tote, and in 2 minutes, it was covered with hibiscus, fish, butterfly, and my name. Then it was handed off to one of the women for the wax. Toro showed us the dyeing process, using his hands to mix up the fixer and colors and then to dip the fabric into a boiling vat of water. Tough guy. Suppi said well he is not from Bali, but from Java and then he made fun of his looks and they all laughed. Men
chantings for painting with wax, and the various waxes

the stamps, some copper, some wood
the wax pot

in the showroom - loved this
fixing and dyeing
finished project
We went in to their showroom and I found it quite pricey; the hand painted batiks were about $18/meter. Beautiful works of art though and worth it but not in my shopping budget. 
silver workers
the workshop and showroom
We also visited a silver place and watched these children really (girls), putting together these miniscule pieces of silver to make beautiful filigree pieces of jewelry. Again, into the showroom to shop. Expensive. I am starting to think Suppi and perhaps his extended family have something working to their advantage here . . . (kidding!!)
daddy watching babies

biggest lily pads EVER
Suppi took us to the Bali Zoo for lunch. Some of our group decided to ride the elephants or have their pictures taken with some of the baby animals. It left a sick feeling in my stomach and I had nothing to do with it. One of the women on the tour was quite put out withme for not taking her picture with a “bearcat” draped over her shoulders. Ugh. I will say the animals looked healthy and I especially loved watching the lion family but. Ok, I’m getting off my soapbox right now.
I have never really taken a tour before and don’t know if I would again. Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a fab time – just could have done without the zoo. Plus, had to wait and wait when all I could think of was that beautiful pool back at the hotel. Thankfully, those who wanted to do further shopping were overruled.
When we got back, I immersed myself in the wonderful infinity pool and watched the couples all around me. One of these days the loss of my husband will not even occur to me. Tonight, I found an Italian restaurant of all things, right on Sanur Beach and treated myself to a lovely Caesar salad with grilled prawn and a glass of local wine (Aussie grapes) while I watched the sea and probably got malaria when the mosquitoes discovered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment