Saturday, May 5, 2012

So, listen to this:  I opened my blog today to put in a new post and it was in Indonesian!!  It wanted my kata sandi (password). Took me a minute to figure that out.
Anyhoo, arrived Depensar, Bali yesterday afternoon around 4pm (4am the day before, your time) and our guide, Suppi was there to meet us. Sweet as he can be. Says God bless you - I love you to punctuate everything. (And, btw Deb Roberts bailed at the last minute!)





I am staying at the Sanur Beach Hotel and here was the view from my room when I got in yesterday. The ocean is in the background.
 Just happened to arrive on the full moon, a holiday special to the Hindu people (one of about 3 gazillion.) Lucky me! So, big party outside last night.
full moon
 These guys accompanied dinner and then the show. Let me tell you, they were the only thing keeping me awake. A more discordant sound I never heard but not necessarily in a bad way. . .
 We had a buffet dinner. There were six stations and here is one of them. That head is a carved watermelon. Oh my.
Here is what I had for dinner. Bet you can't recognize a thing! It was squid, tuna, prawn and Indonesian smoked salmon, the saltiest thing I ever ate and couldn't finish that. The hot sauce was incredibly hot but so good. The waiters laughed at me saying, very specy, very specy!

The dancing was phenomenal. It took me 'til this morning to realize that the reason it looked a bit familiar was from watching The King and I. Remember? The hands and feet, the turn of the head, the rolling of the eyes. I loved it all.
 This guy was so creepy - He came off the stage, right up to me and took my hand. I said dida pa (don't know how to spell that as I learned it by listening) - means no sir! He had on this horrible mask with teeth sticking out. No way I was leaving my chair to go with him.
 By the end of the evening, I could hardly keep my eyes open and off to bed at 9:30pm. 12 hours ahead of you. I am pretty self satisfied with my adjustment to the time change but we'll see what happens today. Just had a buffet breakfast on the beach and leaving in half an hour for a Batiks factory to watch the process. Then what sounded like lunch at the zoo (although that can't be right) and then to a silver and beading market.
Bali is everything I thought it would be and more. Wish you were here.


3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It all looks fabulous, except the food and the scary costume guy. How big is your group and is there anybody in it worth hanging out with?

    Love you....
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had known you were going to bead and silver market! I would have sent money for treats. Sounds like a wonderful time. Still jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I thought I would try to get you a selection. Pretty high end today but we should be seeing some bargains with silver beads, etc. I will see what I can find for you. xoxo

    Stacy, haven't hung out with the group too much but did meet one person in the HK airport I liked and we had a gin and tonic (!) in the pool when we got back to the hotel today. Lots of tattoos. Cool girl. Some stick in the muds for sure as well. Takes all kinds to make a world . . .

    ReplyDelete