Thursday, May 10, 2012

Yesterday, we left our hotel in Sanur Beach and traveled north into the mountains where it was blessedly cool. There, in Bedugul on Lake Beratan, we visited the Ulun Danu Temple. Beautiful place filled with flowers and on the grounds were not only the Hindu temple, but a Buddhist temple and across the street, a mosque and a church. wow  
 goodbye to Sanur Beach Hotel
I can't believe how many pictures I took. Such beauty everywhere you look. I think the rice paddies have a particular beauty. The green is like none other. I took most of these from the bus.


I asked Suppi if this was a plow. He said, No-is modern traactor.
Here is our driver, Agung, our jump out man, Rei, and Suppi. They are fabulous.
I'll tell you, these guys are amazing. First, Suppi. Why the man does not have laryngitis by now, I don't know. He talks non stop. Thankfully, 90% of it is informative and the rest is just plain funny. (Maybe it's me.) Rei, the jump out man risks his life for us. While the bus is moving, coming up on a sharp curve, the door opens he jumps out into traffic, simultaneously stopping oncoming insane motorscooters, cars, trucks and directing the bus around the mountain curve before grabbing the door and jumping aboard. I don't think the bus slows down to less than 20mph. Third is Agung (sp?) He is our driver and descended from royalty. He also has what looks like one eye. And, I swear I am not making this up. He is fearless (or crazy) and every day I thank him for keeping us alive. Not kidding!
Cactus graffiti at a gas station - and yes I added my name.
The mosque in the background

Lake Beratan


Ulun Danu Temple


Buddhist temple

Screamin' eagle!
Our next stop was the Bukit Mungsu Spice Market where villagers sell lovely roses, wild orchids; spices and fresh veggies. It is also the home of the Chinese watch salesmen. I bought a five dollar Rolex from this guy. He started at $45. We argued for about 30 minutes on and off. We cracked each other up. I said take a picture with me. When my friend put the camera up, he whipped out this pink watch and said one hundred dollars! So funny.

This is the view from where we had lunch.

My chariot awaits so off I go this morning to visit the Ikat weavers and have to take my sarong as we are going to a temple ceremony this afternoon. What a life. Wish you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment