Thursday, May 24, 2012

I had so much fun with my friend, Sue, yesterday. We went to Rockland for some errands, had lunch at Rustica - fabu as always - and then went for a tasting at Fiore, right on the harbor. First time going there after meaning to for a year or more.
recognize the Bali bag?
 First of all, the shop is beautiful and clean. The containers on this wall are all balsamic vinegars. (The olive oils are on the opposite wall. And, oh the olive oils . . . )We tasted a 12-year old balsamic, an 18-year old (my fave), and a 35-year old! That one was a little overpowering, I thought. We got quite an education and tasted 4 or 5. This is not your grocery store bought balsamic- you will not believe the difference. Sue bought an 18-year old and a vanilla balsamic and we both bought a fig balsamic, which I will use on my salad from now on. It paired beautifully with the medium flavored olive oil from Portugal that we both bought. I also bought some sesame oil which, when paired with the honey ginger balsamic was to die for - think stir fry or thai food. yum!

35-year old balsamic - cost a bloody fortune
The ladies working in the shop were so knowledgable and obviously enjoyed sharing their knowledge. Did you know that extra virgin olive oil contains the antioxidants beta-carotene and Vit E as well as phenolic compounds? And that the EVOO you buy in the grocery store is usually only 3% EVOO! And, is way past the normal life expectancy, which on average is 12 months? In contrast, the stuff we were tasting was pure and fresh, no more than 3 months old. And, what a difference in taste! Not to mention so much better for you. Also, we found out that when the balsamic in the grocery store says it's from Modena, it is NOT. Who knew?? Anyhoo, you have got to go - you won't be sorry.
 We stopped at Beth's farmstand on the way home while the rain held off, but only briefly. Look at that sky.
 The girls got new beds today. Coordinated to Mummy's quilt, of course, and as I write this morning, the usual doggie heads aren't in my lap or nudging my elbow, but in the bedroom in their new beds. Everybody likes something new now and then, right?

3 comments:

  1. I need to make my pup a doggie bed.. And just fill with scraps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. scraps good - for my old girls, foam or fluff, better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiore is a must stop for me, definitely. I visited an olive oil shop in Paris a couple of years ago and so fell in love with the oils that I started to order more online. Until I realized it would be more than $50 in shipping alone! Not to mention the quite economical oils (not). Glad you finally got around to it and hope you will go back with me!

    ReplyDelete