Sunday, May 4, 2014

Happy trails

Greetings from Statesville, North Carolina tonight. Yesterday, I drove through rain storms to Palm Coast where it was a lovely wonderful fantastic 65 degrees! An easy day today and I could have gone another hour but I love this hotel and let's face it, this is the south and I'm scared of most of the motels in the area. And let me add, with good reason! But I digress . . .
First of all, have you seen my screened porch? So freaking cute! Of course, it's about 100 degrees out and 350% humidity so you can't really enjoy it or anything but I had to check that the windows were locked before I left so took a quick pic. I look forward to sitting here next winter. Woohoo!
Once again, my car is packed to the gills. I really thought this would be the trip where my front seat would be empty. NOT! Poor Sophie is fading with the heat but too afraid of being left behind to come in the house 'til it's time to go.
I took a shot on my way out of the Fabulous Florida Keys. Gosh it's good to have a camera again! Nothing like taking your life in your hands, taking pictures out the windshield whilst barrelling up the stretch! (whilst? like that!)  Seeya!
And here are the girls at our pitstop today. The weather was hot but no humidity, which was a blessing.
 And at our hotel tonight. Off to Maryland tomorrow.
So several people have mentioned in the last few days, my aversion to the South and I felt kind of bad about projecting that kind of negativity. So, while I was driving today I tried to focus on the good in Georgia and South Carolina and now, North Carolina. Beautiful wildflowers along the highway, lovely spring green colors in the trees and lawns, um, um, OK, I am literally sitting here staring at the wall and trying to think. I know there was something else. What the heck was it? . . . Was it that trucker who was honking at me, or the bug splats all over the car - wait, the moronic sermons on the radio? No, maybe it was the anti-abortion billboards with the disgusting pictures or the way the food went from McDonalds and Starbucks to Zaxby's and Southern Buffet. No, maybe it's the people. Wait - no, maybe not. I guess I'll have to get back to you on that . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment