Thursday, May 8, 2014

Long slog today through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and in to Connecticut. Awful traffic and lots of trucks. I DESPISE my former husband on days like these. . . . oh whatever. Not going to go into poor pitiful me, dealing with horrid traffic, lifting an 80-pound dog into the car every 2 hours and on and on ad infinitum. WHATEVER

* * * *

beautiful Federick, Maryland
So, here's yesterday with my BFF, Stacy. Rainy day in Frederick but no problemo as we went to one of our fave places, Delaplaine Arts Center. I was particularly interested in seeing the triaxial weaving by Mary Klotz. Pictures cannot describe. She uses 4mm satin ribbon and her creations are just amazing. I will just post this one only but really you have to see them in person or HERE.
We also saw the juried exhibit and here I post the first place winner. It will be sure to expose me as a total boorish snarky philisteen but I. Just. Don't. Like. It. It was titled "Skin". hmmmmm And for the record, Stacy didn't like it either. In my defense, I do realize that art is not entirely about the aesthetic and that the artist was probably exploring an emotion or making a statement but oh well. sorry but ick . . . 
 And another - particularly baffling - didn't win any award though so ... There was a compass rose in the pink thing, if that helps.
This is what greets you when you walk into the Delaplaine and it is so simple but effective: silver ribbons. So cool really! Simply beautiful and oh so creative.
 Rainy view out of the gallery window.
We were gone all day so loaded up the girls when we got home for a quick trip to the Cunningham Sate Park waterfall hike. A lovely walk and when we got up to the lookout, there was construction of a new walkway in evidence so we had to turn around. Still, it was a nice hike and we saw some lovely woods, heard the rushing water and, check it out: This place, part of the Applachian Mountains, was at one time the highest mountain range on earth! Higher than the Himalayas! Isn't that amazing? 
 Dinner time so we fed the girls in the parking lot after our hike.
So, today really sucked but looking at these pictures in my icky hotel room tonight, I am so grateful for the respite from the road with my friend and my girls. Tomorrow? Two gems.  First, breakfast with my smart and gorgeous and talented niece and then . . . MAINE: THE WAY LIFE SHOULD BE!!!

2 comments:

  1. And it's a beautiful day in Damariscotta today. Soon you'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it did not stay that way! 53 cold gray degrees and drizzle.

    ReplyDelete